The UHN Vocational Rehabilitation Program offers employment services for United Houma Nation and Chitimacha Tribe of Louisiana enrolled tribal citizens with disabilities. The goal of the program is to assist eligible individuals with disabilities in planning for, reaching and maintaining gainful employment. The program is funded by the US Department of Education. In order to qualify for services, an individual must meet all of the following federal requirements:
- The individual must be an enrolled citizen of the United Houma Nation or the Chitimacha Tribe of Louisiana.
- The individual must reside and possess proof of residency within Terrebonne, Lafourche, Jefferson, St. Mary, St. Bernard or Plaquemines parishes.
- The individual must possess and be able to document a physical or mental impairment.
- The individual must be able to demonstrate that the impairment is a barrier to employment (either getting or keeping employment).
- The individual must be able to benefit from vocational rehabilitation services.
The vocational rehabilitation process is intended to be individualized for each person. Although 2 individuals may possess the same impairment/medical condition, he/she may have very different employment goals and needs in order to be successful. Consequently, the program allows services to be customized based on the unique strengths, needs, priorities, interests and abilities of each individual. Vocational Rehabilitation services are intended to be comprehensive when allowable and services may include :
- Medical exams by physicians and psychologists to determine abilities, treatments plans, etc.
- Vocational evaluations including interest, skills and abilities testing
- Career and personal counseling and guidance
- On-the-job training
- Vocational-technical school certification and/or college
- Job placement assistance
- Self-employment planning
- Initial stocks, uniforms, tools and equipment needed to secure employment
- Traditional healing services
Counselors work one-on-one with consumers (clients) to identify an employment plan of action that works for them. For more information or to inquire about services, please contact the staff at
|Main Office||Jefferson Outreach Office|
|Address|| 991 Grand Caillou Road, Bldg #2
Houma, LA 70363
| 6641 Westbank Expressway, Suite B
Marrero, LA 70072
|Phone||(985) 223-3093||(504) 341-4008|
Lanor Curole, Director - firstname.lastname@example.org
Louise Billiot, Counselor - email@example.com
Onita Harris, Counselor - firstname.lastname@example.org
Loquetta Legendre, Administrative Assistant - email@example.com
Stephen Billiot, Rehabilitation Technician - firstname.lastname@example.org
Shana Galtier, Rehabilitation Technician (Chitimacha Reservation) - email@example.com