Mark your calendars for May 1st as the entire region participates in a day of charitable giving. Most people assume that the majority of charitable giving happens among extremely wealthy people; however, nothing could be further from the truth. Most giving is by everyday people like you and me who give what they can - $10, $20, $50, etc. Although it may not seem like much, it all adds up.
This year marks the 5th year the United Houma Nation participates in Give NOLA Day to support our nonprofit operations. The nonprofit arm of the United Houma Nation is intended to operate programs and services for the benefit of tribal citizens. None of us like to ask for money, but unfortunately that is what it often takes to meet our citizens' needs. Currently the UHN operates grant programs and volunteer programs that provide:
- Employment and training services for tribal citizens with disabilities
- Emergency and advocacy services for victims of domestic violence, sexual assault, dating violence and stalking
- Wellness services for tribal citizens and their spouses
- Radio programming for tribal citizens through a noncommercial, educational radio station outlet
- Coastal advocacy on behalf of tribal citizens in impacted areas
- Ongoing youth services
- Annual elders honoring event
I am very proud to say we are able to do all of this with only 6 full time and 3 part time staff. However, we know it is not enough and that there are many more needs that need attention. We hope you would consider supporting the United Houma Nation on May 1st and participate in Give NOLA, where your donations have the potential to leverage more funds thanks to the Greater New Orleans Foundation and the Bayou Community Foundation. Your donation will be matched with "lagniappe" dollars and your donations can enter the UHN into drawings for cash prizes throughout the day.
Also new this year! You can pre-schedule your contribution in advance to be processed on May 1st. Click the link below to pre-schedule your donation as well as donate the day of the event. Thank you in advance for your support and assistance with growing and expanding our reach!