Yesterday the seated UHN Youth Council met for a regular meeting and established the guidelines for the 2014 Election of the Youth Council. The UHN Youth Council consists of the following positions:
- President - oversees the Council activities, leads the meetings, sets the agenda for council meetings and votes in order to break a tie of the rest of the Council
- Vice President - assumes the duties of the President in the absence of the President and completes other assigned responsibilities to assist the President
- Secretary - takes notes and prepares minutes for meetings, maintains council records
- Treasurer - keeps records of youth funds, tracks fundraising efforts and reports on funds available
- 6 Member-at-Large positions - individual parish representatives for Terrebonne, Jefferson, Lafourche, St. Mary, St. Bernard and Plaquemines Parishes who are responsible for holding parish-level youth meetings, coordinating parish youth activities and reporting back parish-level activities to the full Youth Council.
Additionally, all Youth Council members will be expected to take part in monthly conference call meetings and a face-to-face Council Meeting once every 3-months.
Nominations are being accepted for these positions through August 30th. Interested youth candidates must meet the following requirements to seek a position on the UHN Youth Council:
- Tribal youth officer candidates must currently be enrolled in 8th - 12th grade (age 14+) to seek the positions of President, Vice President, Secretary and Treasurer
- Tribal youth Member-at-Large candidates must currently be enrolled in 7th -12th grade (age 13+) to seek one of the Member-at-Large positions and reside in the parish they are seeking to represent
- Tribal youth council candidates must have a UHN enrollment number or his/her parent or grandparent must be enrolled
- Tribal youth council candidates must have a minimum of a 2.0 GPA
- Tribal youth council candidates must be enrolled or willing to enroll in the UHN Youth Program
- Anyone seeking the President position must also be actively involved in tribal youth activities for at least one year.
Nominations will be accepted through the below online portal or by contacting either Lanor Curole or Bette Billiot at (985)223-3093. Again the deadline to submit nominations or self-nominate is August 30th. Once the nomination period closes, an announcement will be made of eligible candidates who will appear on the ballot.
Who will be able to vote? All tribal youth currently enrolled or enrolling in the UHN Youth Program. Youth will only be allowed to vote once. Officer voting will be conducted 2 ways:
1. Online from September 14th -20th; or
2. On-site at the UHNVR Powwow September 20-21st
The Member-at-Large seats will be decided and voted on at parish youth meetings scheduled and coordinated among the candidates and UHN youth staff from September 22nd - October 30th. Dates will be announced after nominations have closed.