Living with diabetes can be challenging. Individuals can become overwhelmed with images of temptations that make living a healthy lifestyle difficult as well as so many people harp on the bad things that can happen when one doesn't take care of themselves. WE WANT TO FOCUS ON WHAT KEEPS YOU ON TRACK. What motivates you to take care of yourself while living with diabetes?
The United Houma Nation Diabetes Program would like to offer an opportunity for those who are living with diabetes to think about the wonderful and sometimes unhappy reasons why they take care of themselves. If you are ready to think outside of your box, then Photovoice is for you! What is Photovoice? Photovoice combines photography and discussion while empowering people to develop a critical assessment of their reality.
Project Title: Diabetes Through a Lens
What? Identify those things that make living with diabetes easy or hard. Learn about photography. Take pictures of things in your life and community that affect living with diabetes. Engage in conversation with others about living with diabetes. Selected photos become a part of the United Houma Nation Diabetes Program. Share your insight with others.
- Learn photography skills.
- Meet with others living with diabetes in your community.
- Identify your strengths and challenges.
- Allow others to see what affects your life while living with diabetes.
- Reinforce why making positive choices matter.
- Show off your photography skills to family and friends.
- Complete a photovoice application.
- Attend four photovoice sessions.
- Be responsible for maintaining a digital camera.
- Return camera with all pictures taken and a description of photos.
- Give feedback about the project.
You should apply if:
- You are an enrolled member of the United Houma Nation
- Living with Type 2 Diabetes
- 18 years or older
- Interested in sharing aspects of your life with others through photographs
- Willing to show off your photography skills
- Enjoy working in groups or with others
- Willing to devote your time to the project
- Want to share your story of living with diabetes with your friends and family
Six individuals are needed to move forward. Preference will be given to those living close to each other so that meetings are convenient. Selected photos will be on display at the 6th Annual UHN Celebrating ABILITIES Powwow on September 20-21st.
Please contact Onita Harris (985) 223-3093 to sign up!