The United Houma Nation's Vocational Rehabilitation Program will be holding the annual Consumer Conference on Thursday, September 18, 2014 at the Quality Hotel in Houma, Louisiana. The conference will begin at 8:00 am until 5:00 pm. The 1-day conference allows the staff to plan and coordinate workshops that meet the needs of the clients served by the program as well as supporting community disability education opportunities. The vocational rehabilitation program is funded by the US Department of Education to provide comprehensive employment services for United Houma Nation and Chitimacha Tribe citizens with disabilities who reside in the 6-parish service area.
Training and workshop topics include:
- Cultural Identity and Employment - how your identity and cultural influences can help you in the workplace
- The Ups and Downs of Being Your Own Boss - exploring the positive and negative benefits of being self-employed
- HELP! What Parents of Children with Disabilities Need to Know - a guide for parents of what services are available for their children through the school system as well as their rights guaranteed by law
- The Wisdom of the Oak Tree - examining what nature teaches us about ourselves as seen through the development of the oak tree
- Moving Up in the Marine Industry Today - a panel discussion regarding the advance training opportunities in the marine industry as well as how the industry is changing
- Natural and Alternative Medicine and so much more!!!
There is no registration cost; however, space is limited. Priority of given to UHNVR clients. Anyone interested in signing up to attend should call (985)223-3093 or click HERE to book online.