The United Houma Nation Election Board has begun the process for the election of the Principal Chief position scheduled for 2018. The first step in the process is for interested and eligible candidates to qualify by March 29, 2018. According to the UHN Constitution, Article VI, Section 1(c) and (d), candidates for Principal Chief must meet the following qualifications:
- be a registered voter of the United Houma Nation; and
- be at least 35 years of age; and
- be a high school graduate or have the equivalent of a high school diploma; and
- reside within one the Tribe's eleven (11) voting districts for two or more consecutive years immediately preceding the election; and
- be free of any felony conviction; and
- not hold a tribal office unless the person is seeking election or reappointment to that office; and
- have previously served at least one (1) term on the Tribal Council.
The UHN Election Board reviews all applicants to determine qualifications and will produce a certified list of candidates to be posted. If more than one candidate is certified eligible then the election will take place on Saturday, June 2, 2018 throughout the UHN's 6-parish service district. Other important dates to be aware of are:
May 2, 2018 Deadline for tribal citizens 18 years of age and older to register to vote if not already registered in order to participate in the June 2nd election.
Apr 27 - May 25, 2018 Absentee ballots will be available and accepted at the UHN Main Office in Golden Meadow only. Absentee ballots are only available either by written request (with original signature) or in-person. The office is open Monday through Friday from 9am to 2pm. All ballots must be received no later than 5pm CST on May 25, 2018 in order to be counted in the election.
May 25, 2018 All polling places and sample ballots will be posted at the UHN Golden Meadow, Houma and Marrero Tribal Offices. All registered voters will receive written notification of their assigned polling place.
For more detailed information about the election, please click HERE to download the full Election Announcement.